Key talking points in Barcelona’s defeat to Getafe
Barcelona suffered their first defeat of the season tonight, losing 1-nil away from home to Getafe. It was a disappointing evening for the Catalans who currently sit 9th on the league table with a game in hand.
Here are the key talking points from the match:
- Pedri was impressive today, his excellent reading of the game was on display today and although he should be eased slowly into the squad, it shouldn’t take long before we start counting on him.
- Dembele needs to improve his decision-making, he should know when to pass, he runs into traffic too many times and can be a weak link in the attack some times.
- Frenkie de Jong can’t really be blamed for the penalty today as the decision was shady IMO but looking at his overall game today, he didn’t exert the kind of influence expected from a player of his caliber. He was outplayed by Busquets.
- Koeman is not being reasonable with Puig, opting only to bring him on when he was out of options, the decision was even stranger considering he came on for Sergi Roberto.
- Koeman‘s decision to replace de Jong with Braithwaite was not tactical in the least. It unbalanced the team and Barcelona were lucky not to concede up to 3 goals.
- It is alarming how many 50-50 decisions go against Barcelona, it definitely feels like La Liga has an agenda here.