Marcelo eases fears over Fred’s injury as new Man United boy looks set to be fit for World Cup

Brazil left back Marcelo has eased fears that Manchester United new boy Fred could be ruled out of the World Cup through injury by insisting the ankle issue is ‘not that serious’.

Fred, who agreed a £52million move from Shakhtar Donetsk to Manchester United earlier this month, picked up an ankle problem in a sliding tackle by Real Madird midfielder Casemiro.

Described by the national team doctor as ankle trauma initially, Marcelo has revealed he has been told it is not a serious problem for the midfielder and also insisted no blame could be placed on club team-mate Casemiro.

‘This is the World Cup,’ he told reporters. ‘Everybody’s training hard, working hard and there are these moments in training.

‘But I believe it’s not that serious, I believe it’s not a big problem for us and I think he’ll be back with us as soon as possible.’

The initial reaction appeared ominous as Brazil continued their preparations at Tottenham’s training ground having faced Croatia at Anfield recently.

Fred was clearly in pain after the challenge from Casemiro as the 25-year-old screamed and grimaced before medical staff came to help him.

He was taken to a dugout by the side of the training pitch in Enfield where an ice pack was applied to his right ankle but Marcelo’s update will come as welcome news for both United and Brazil fans who want to see him in action this summer.

Brazil play their final World Cup warm-up game on Sunday against Austria in Vienna with Fred expected to sit out as a precaution.

The Selecao are looking to improve on their World Cup campaign four years ago at home where they were famously humiliated 7-1 by eventual champions Germany in the semi-finals.

They start their group on June 17 against Switzerland before taking on Costa Rica and Serbia.

SOURCE: DAILY MAIL

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *